Monday, March 23, 2009

Matt: 26:32

Early on this week, I was reading in the book of Mathew where Jesus and His disciples are in the Garden of Gethsemane. The context is they have just finished the “last supper” and when they first arrive, Jesus has the bulk of the disciples “sit”. Then He takes Peter, James and John and continues to walk. Now remember, the other time, that we know of, when Jesus took His three close friends away from the rest of the group? It was when He was TRANSFORMED right before their very eyes. So, they have to be getting excited with anticipation. They must be EXPECTING something! Right?
Next the Bible says, “…and he began to be sorrowful and troubled.” Now, the Bible doesn’t say, but my guess is Jesus didn’t get “sorrowful and troubled” very often, especially while walking with these three. I would hope that when I saw Jesus full of sorrow, my senses and my awareness of what was going on would be heightened. Wouldn’t it?
Now, listen to what Jesus says next, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.” Okay, if my blood is not pumping with anxiety before He said this, it is now! His soul is overwhelmed to the point of DEATH! Not, only that, but he has asked me to keep watch. That will be easy! Right?
Do you remember what happens next? They fall asleep THREE times! Your closest friend and GOD has asked you to KEEP WATCH and you fall asleep? No way I would do that! Actually, truth is, we all would do that. As sad as it is, we all DO that. How many GREAT things has God done in our lives, and yet we go on, expecting, but then “fall asleep” Or even worse, we don’t expect great things at all.
Even when Peter, James and John KNEW of His sorrow, they fell asleep. How often does our heart not break, when His heart is already broken?
As a team, let’s check our heart for two things: 1. Are we coming to God EXPECTING Him to do great things this summer? 2. Are there things that we know break His heart that we have fallen asleep to?
Think about it….

In Him, For Him
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment