Monday, February 23, 2009

Humility (email to CORE)

I just read a book by C.j Mahaney entitled, "Humility: True Greatness". Yet another one that I truly recommend and will be talking to you guys about probably now until the end of summer. Early on in the book, Mahaney quotes a couple verses that speak about God's thoughts on pride. Here is just a couple:

1. "I hate pride and arrogance." Proverbs 6:16-17
2. "Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the Lord, be assured, he will not go unpunished." Proverbs 16:5

Then of course there is the passage in Isaiah 14 that talks about Satan and his motivation behind his rebellion. Mahaney's point in all the verses he listed was this: the scripture uses stronger language to talk about God's feelings on pride than any other sin. But why? Why does God hate pride and express it so strongly? Mahaney defines pride as, " when sinful human beings aspire to the status and position of God and refuse to acknowledge their dependence upon him." Wow, that's intense. It's as if we are contending for supremacy with God!

Now think about it like this. There is NOTHING in this world that you can hate more than God hates pride. So I ask you, What do YOU hate? I know some things I hate. I hate rainy day schedule. I hate mayonnaise. I hate shaving. I hate stupid drivers. I hate hypocrites. I HATE SEX TRAFFICKING. I HATE ALL FORMS OF CHILD ABUSE. Some of those things I hate pretty passionately and yet I CANT hate ANY of those more than God hates pride…

So what would it look like if we started to hate pride as much as God does? What would our school life look like? What would our family look like? What would CAMP look like? What if when we picked up trash on the track it was for His glory not ours? What if when we let the kids scratch the third layer of skin off our back in the pool, we did it in worship, and not for that girl counselor behind us? What if we wrestled with the kids when we had NOTHING left, simply because we understand who we are in Christ? I love you guys. Think about it.
In Him, for Him,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment