Monday, February 23, 2009

2 Peter 1:3-11 (email to Core)

I recently was reading 2 Peter 1:3-11 and just had some questions/thoughts that arose from reading it. First of all, if you don’t meditate over it and study it, you may be quick to think it’s talking about a salvation that is worked out. However, as you look closer you realize that salvation is ALL about Him and not us.
Here is what John Piper had to say about verses 5-7:

“Probably the most important thing to notice here is that this command is based on verses 3 and 4 which are not a command but a description of what God has done for us. God's divine power has given us all things that lead to godliness (v. 3); "for this reason" make every effort yourself to be godly. Don't miss the connection (though the KJV misses it). Since God has given power for godliness, strive to become godly! This is the heart of New Testament ethics. We labor for virtue because God has already labored for us and is at work in us. Don't ever reverse the order, lest you believe another gospel (which is no gospel). Never say, "I will work out my salvation in order that God might work in me." But say with the apostle Paul, "I work out my salvation for it is God who works in me to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Philippians 2:13). Never say, "I press on to make it my own in order that Christ might make me his own." But say with Paul, "I press on to make it my own because Christ Jesus has made me his own" (Philippians 3:12). There is a world of difference in a marriage where the husband doubts the love of his wife and labors to earn it, and a marriage where the husband rests in the certainty of his wife's love and takes pains joyfully not to live unworthily of it. Peter's point is: God is for us with divine power. Of that we may be sure. Now, in the confidence of that power, take pains not to live unworthily of his love.”

What a cool thought. We work to live a godly life, BECAUSE God has already done it all! It’s just another way to “give our life”. Now, tenaciously seek to live right, not because you want to make God happy, but because He has already done it all for you. Live knowing that He has already given you the power to CHOOSE right. Then, rest in it, because it is the most freeing truth you will ever experience. (John 8:32)

In Him, For Him
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment